Tuesday 23 January 2018

Doctor's Appointment

These two photos show firstly the Broad Beans The Sutton which are a dwarf bean and secondly the young Cauliflower plants, both are doing fine so far.
 This morning I went to the Surgery in response to the Receptionist contacting me and then making an appointment for today.
 I was called in just after 8.40.am. It was  female Doctor who when I asked her told me that she was Polish. She actually spoke perfect English also was very pleasant and rather young. I guess less than 40 years of age. The first thing was to take my Blood Pressure which was again too high. I then let her know I was worried about my legs swelling. She then informed me that she would look into that later. I then asked her to check my cholesterol level and blood sugar too. I managed to pass muster on those two things. She then explained to me that I was at a reasonable high risk of having a heart attack or a stroke. She turned her monitor so that I could see in RED the percentage and she suggested that I should increase my hypertension medication which I agreed. I then showed her my prescription  which she was a little surprised at the volume of medications I was on but then told me that all medications had side effects but she then added that the total medication was a very good mix. Then it was an examination of my legs. I told her that if she told me not to worry I would ignore the swellings completely. She then went in detail to let me know what was happening and also told me I had varicose veins which of course I knew. She told me that some of the medication was to make sure that my arteries were working to keep clear of blocking. I did mention to her that like the majority I had smoked heavily but ceased smoking in 1975 but the damage done was permanent. She concurred stating that once damage has occured it could not in some cases be repaired and that damage caused by smoking was one of those.
 I asked her to make a new prescription for me with the updates which she did. Unfortunately her computer was slow. She then mentioned to me that unfortunately the consultation was only 10 minutes. I had been in her Consulting Room for 20 minutes and I let her know that the next patient would be waiting which she agreed.
 Finally before I left she told me I would be contacted again in a couple of months time. She gave me the prescription we shook hands and told me it had been a pleasure meeting me.
 I went to the receptionist with the idea of borrowing a pen but she told me she would tick all the boxes then looked for a stapler so that she could staple the 3 pages of medication together but the stapler had run out of staples. Not to be daunted she looked for some paper clips and then after clipping them together told me she would take it round personally to  the place where they make up the prescriptions.
 I thanked her saying that ALL the staff in the Surgery including the medical staff were very nice and helpful which they are. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment