Thursday 19 April 2018

Bank

Yesterday I had news that the bank I use is closing not only in Mablethorpe but Alford too and the nearest Lloyds Bank is some 20 miles away.
 At first I thought about closing my Accounts and moving somewhere else but it is too much of an upheaval so I have decided to use the post Office to deposit the odd cheque and cash I accrue.
 I originally moved to TSB in the late 70s or early 80s. As you probably know it was originally called Trustee Savings Bank but it was privatised and us with an Account had preferential treatment but it was over subscribed and the maximum shares we bought was 200.
 I think I told you the story ages ago that when it was TSB plc. my late father had an account there. He died in 1975 and there was about £90 in his account. As my Mother had moved back to Grantham she asked me to go to see the Manager and see if I could get the money so off I went to make an appointment but there was no need the manager saw me straight away.
 I went into his Private Office and immediately informed me that he knew about me because his Son had worked for me. When he told me his name I just said to him that on asking what his father did all he said was that he worked in a Bank not the Manager of the Bank. He told me to call him by his Christian name and suggested we have a Sherry, all I can remember is that he had to open the bottle but it was not a cheap variety. We talked for quite some time and eventually I got round to asking him about my late Fathers Account. He asked for details and rung his bell, in came a teller and he asked the teller to get the Account for him to see. When he saw it I was surprised at his reply. He
immediately told me there was no problem. His exact words were " It is not a large amount so I have no trouble in closing the account and giving you the money now."
 My Mother was pleased because he was a few days away from drawing his State Pension, he actually died a week or so before his 65th. Birthday, she was worried that the funeral would be on his Birthday but it happened a couple of days before his Birthday.
 I joined TSB as I said in the late 70s or early 80s. I think it was in the 90s that Lloyds bought TSB out and it was called LLoydsTSB for several years eventually selling several TSB Banks but in Mablethorpe it was now called Lloyds changing the logo and cheque books paying in slips etc. but you could use the old cheque boob and paying in book and when you needed a replacement it was Lloyds Bank .
 I only go to the Bank about 4 times a year but whenever I go there are loads waiting. they originally had 3  cash points but they reduced it to 2 and you could hear some moan that there was only 2 positions maximum and sometimes there was only 1 manned so it was obvious that they had every intention of closing several Banks in the Lincolnshire area but at my time of life I will put up with the inconvenience.
 When I next go to the Post Office I will enquire if it is possible to deposit cheques and cash using the Lloyds paying in slips. I do believe you can. If that is so, I will NEVER visit the Louth Branch of Lloyds. I do have a few months grace because Lloyds do not close the Mablethorpe and Alford Branches until October. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment