Saturday 7 April 2018

Hand trouble.

On Thursday although the garden was very wet I decided to loosen and lift the soggy soil to help get rid of a little water. I worked on and off for about 4 hours. I did finish soon after 4.00.pm. About 4.30.pm. I had my evening meal as normal then settled down to watch T.V. mainly golf.
 About 7.30.pm. my left hand began to throb and swell also it was painful. I thought it was an attack of arthritis so I rubbed in some Ibuprofen gel but it made no difference. It was painful when I went to bed and to be honest didn't sleep a wink all night. About 4.30.am. I got up and took a couple of Paracetamols but that didn't alleviate the pain either. I got up at about 6.00.am. and couldn't use my left hand but I did manage to have a wash down and wash my hair, had a shave, electric shaver so that was alright. Had porridge and a coffee and settled down waiting for the Surgery to open. It turned out to be a waste of time because they didn't have any slots available to see a G.P. In fact they had nothing but did say if I wished to travel to Mablethorpe I could join the queue waiting to see a G.P. This i declined as driving was most difficult using mainly one arm, so off I went back home.
 It would be a few hours later when I thought about the Chemist, they have a Pharmacist there so off I went and asked if I could see the Pharmacist. A positive response was given and immediately the Pharmacist came, she suggested we go to her consulting room.
 I explained what had happened and she was concerned, as I have my prescription delivered from there to my home she had all the details of the medication I was on. She looked at my hand, it was the thumb and part of the palm that was most affected, she remarked how swollen and inflamed it was. I suggested that I had a hot water bottle on the hand so that perhaps that made it red. I then asked her if she could provide me with a stronger medication for the paracetamols that I had taken did not relieve the pain. She looked at my medication and told me that I had done the right thing with the Ibuprofen and that the medication I was on did not allow me to take Ibuprofen tablets but I must only apply the gel 3 times a day. She then told me she would let me have a stronger tablet and that she was going to write a letter and asked me if I was prepared to wait. I told her I would and thanked her for being so friendly she told me she also had enjoyed the meeting.
 Whilst I was waiting there are 2 seats available for those waiting for prescriptions I sat next to a Gentleman and we got talking, first I said to him that it was a cold wind despite the weathermen saying it was a beautiful day. He admitted telling me that he had a long haired Daschund that he took for a walk along the beach every day. I looked at him and suggested that it was not a cheap dog. He proffered £600 that was the cost but he told me it was just a pet to him and his Wife.
 Eventually I was called to the counter I was offered some tablets, I think the cost was £2.60 but she told me that I must only take them for 3 days only. So it was off to the Surgery with the letter, I gave the letter to the receptionist and immediately had an appointment for the first thing Monday morning.
 When I arrived back home my thoughts went to my Mother who well over 50 years ago fell down, she was disabled so didn't have a great balance. She put her left hand out to break the fall, unfortunately her had swelled up badly. Off she was taken to the Outpatients department where a Doctor saw her and let her know that it was painful but although it would be a lengthy process all would be well in the end. He gave her a little foam ball and told her that it would be painful to start but told her to squeeze it in the palm of her hand as often as she could, also adding that she keep her swollen hand on her shoulder because if she lowered her hand it would remain swollen. He also added that an appointment would be made for physiotherapy.
  The outcome was that it did take some time but eventually her hand was back to normal.
  I decided to try this out and, yes it was painful for a start only doing a dozen or so squeezing of the hand, I did notice that after it did seem to be a little less painful. I took my first tablet at 2.00.pm. and again at 4 hourly intervals until I went to bed.
 To be honest, I don't know if it is the tablets or the therapy I am doing that makes it far less painful. The swelling is still there though but if I lift it high the swelling does in fact go down a little.
 All in all, I am delighted that the pain has more or less gone, but it is telling me that we are mortal and we can't do what we used to do several years ago. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment