Tuesday 17 April 2018

Mablethorpe.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but in the early 70s Mablethorpe more or less closed down in the winter.
 As I had the youngsters in my place I sold quite a few bottles of coca-cola(coke). The delivery man told me he would get me a coke fridge because I sold a lot more than the guy who had it on his site and true to his word the next delivery I had, he also delivered the coke fridge. It did boost my sales up also. I used to sell coke to the locals cheaper than to the Holidaymakers.
 Coke had a strict pricing policy. I will use it in old pence to put you in the picture. A case was 24 bottles of Coke and you got a discount depending on how many you bought at a time. The pricing policy was thus 3d.  for 10 to 19 cases or more 6d. for 20 cases or moe 9d. 30 cases or more 1/-(a shilling) for 40 cases or more and 1/3d.  for 50 cases or more. That was the maximum discount you could get as a retailer. They had a further 3d. discount for independent wholesalers that sold their own products but carried coke as an extra but they had to order 200 cases. By the way, the price of a case was 12/- so it made a bottle of Coke 6d each. I sold to the locals for 10d each and to others 1/-. It must be borne in mind that there was no VAT for it had not been thought of.There was a Depot at Lincoln and the Manager came to see me, obviously I was one of their better customers. I asked him about the pricing policy of restricting me to a maximum discount and he was sympathetic to me and told me he would see what he could do.
 I didn't think too much about it but suddenly I had a phone call, it was the Manager at Lincoln Coke Depot informing me that if I wished to order 200 cases he would give me the same discount as the Wholesalers would get.
 I don't know if he was swayed but I did tell him that a rival Company had offered me incentives to sell their products but I declined mainly because I knew they would not sell as well as Coke.
 Several weeks later the Manager came to see me giving me the information that he had been hauled over the coals for allowing me to purchase 200 cases of coke for the same price as those Wholesalers selling to the public. He also added that there had been a meeting and decided to allow ALL who wished to purchase 200 cases in one drop  to pay the same as Wholesalers so I did make some sort of History by being the first person to get the maximum discount.
 This is also true, in the Summer months from Easter until late september the Coke wagon would call at Mablethorpe every 2 weeks but in the Winter months it was every 4 weeks. On more than one occasion I had a phone call from Lincoln Depot asking me if I would like any Coke. If I told them I was alright the answer would be. "Then we will give Mablethorpe a miss this month then." Some years later they came out with syrup so that one could dispense Coke themselves.  Please remember this was 1970 time and things were a lot cheaper in those days. I sold a 2 course lunch for 6/-. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment