Wednesday 5 September 2012

Dentist

Today it was a trip to the Dentist. He is a very nice guy and we call each other by our christian names.
 As soon as I sat down in the waiting area, this man started talking to me. I told him that it was cool and that I had put on a jumper. He told me that he didn't feel the cold and hating wearing a jacket or any other clothing to protect him. He then told me that he was originally a Miner. I asked him how long he was down the pits, 10 years altogether he told me, 2  5year stints at different pits. He then told me that he was a delivery driver going to ports such as Immingham. I reminded him that Immingham was a huge port, most people had no idea just how large it was. I then told him that there always seemed to be a dark cloud over Immingham. He laughed and agreed with me.
 I then told him about a H.M. Customs Inspector.
 It was in the 80s. I had several years before appealed against my Business Rates but took my Accountant with me. We failed. This time I was determined to go it alone.
 Anyway, this Customs Officer came to see me(an appointment was made prior). He was smartly dressed in a suit, you would never guess that he worked for Customs and Excise. He was based in Boston. Upon entry he introduced himself and we shook hands. I told him that before we started any discussion we would have a cuppa. He readily agreed and had coffee. My Mother was also there, she always came down for a month after the main holiday was over so this would be in mid September.
 He told me that he couldn't do a lot for me but sympathised with me but said he could knock a little off my Business Rates. They were in the region of £880 per annum. He offered to have them set at £850. I just told him he could do better than that. I then suggested a figure of £800 and held out my hand. I was surprised when he took hold of it and we agreed at that price. He then told me his Boss would have a fit when he told him.
 Well we had another drink and I just said to him that he could tell some tales.
 He looked at us then told us a tale. He started by saying that Boston Office was closing at the end of the year and the staff were being transferred to Nottingham. He told us that he was not going. He had discussed it with his wife and they both agreed that Nottingham was not for them. He then said that his Son was at University so there was only the two of them at home. He had paid enough money into his pension to get the maximum pension so all he was doing was paying each month extra cash which was showing no benefit at all. He said that he would just potter about until his retirement which is 60 years. I guessed he was about 57.
 He then told us how when he first started he was sent to a fishing port for duties. He said there was a guard on the gates and he had to show his pass. When it came time to leave the security guard at the gate was waitng there for him. He told him that he had some fish for him. Being a novice he refused point blank, the security guard was a little put off. Nevertheless he told us he went straight back to the Office to see his boss to tell him what had gone on. He said his boss threw his hands in the air and exclaimed. "Oh my God, I hope you haven't upset them. They are the most militant group of workers and if they come out on strike, it will soon be Nationwide. You had better go back tomorrow and sort things out. Giving a little fish is like a Cafe Propreitor giving you a cup of tea. Fish is dirt cheap to them"
 He said to us that he went back the next day and the security man on the gate asked him if he would have some fish this evening. He said he would love a little Plaice. The security man suggested that a couple of Dover Sole also would be nice. He agreed.
 When it was time to leave, the security man asked him to open his boot of his car. He was amazed at the size of the box that went into hi boot. He told him that he must pay something for the fish. The security guard told him it was a shilling.
 He siad when he got home there was enough fish for about a month. Not just Plaice and Dover Sole but plenty of Cod too.
  He told us that whenever he went there he was always given a good lot of fish.
 It was time for him to go and he told us he had thoroughly enjoyed his visit with us. I too told him it was great. I wished him a happy retirement and he left.
 My Mother couldn't believe what she had witnessed. She said to me that nobody would believe it if we told anyone, but I can assure you it is all true.
While I was telling this man in the waiting area this story. The Dentist's assistant came out. She told me to carry on with the story. there was a woman in a wheelchair who told me after I had finished she had been captivated by the story I had told.
 When I was ready to leave I said to the assistant that I guess that  she would mention  the story to the Dentist, most certainly I will she said. At least, I made somebody's time pass a little quicker by the tale. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment