Tuesday 25 September 2012

Latest broadband

Today I checked my broadband and it was fine. I decided to go and freephone them to ask if I could not get a better deal. I was surprised that the lady agreed that I could pay a year in advance what they call line rental saver she also informed me that she would arrange to get a reduction to my broadband. I did get confirmation from tham that my line saver would start from my next direct debit so will not know just how much I will be paying until then. With paying an annual payment I save about £44 a year.
  We have been lucky here with the weather over the last couple of days we have had about 1/2" of rain, yes it has been very windy and dull as well as being cool  but thankfully we have been spared the persistant heavy rain.
 The Farmer who has a field opposite my home managed to get his harvest in, also got his straw baled then the other night got it ploughed. On Sunday evening he managed to harrow the land so it is ready to be sown again.
 He came to see me the other day, it was when he was ploughing the old stubble in. He comes to see me when he sees me around. It started a few years ago. I was out in my front driveway watching him and I was surprised when he stopped his tractor opposite me and came over. He introduced himself and told me that a relative lived next door. It was then up for sale and his relative has left.
 I asked him a few questions and he noticed that I knew a little about farm life. I know next to nothing really but my ex Brother in Law used to be Farm Manager for Lord Brownlow on the Belton Estate. It was mixed arable and livestock. Only cattle. All they did was to increase the herd so any bull calfs were castrated and after about 20 months were sent for slaughter. The female calfs were kept for  breeding. He used to sow wheat, barley and the latest thing rape seed. This would be in the early 80s.
 The Farmer told me that now they didn't have to crop rotate. This was always the case. As us old ones would know it was generally accepted that after 3 years of different crops a fourth year the ground was planted with clover or some other crop that would  help fertilise the soil. Or some Farmers left the field fallow for a year.
 The farmer has a Brother, he has pigs so what he does is that when the wind is in the right direction(so we do not get the smell) he sprays pig slurry on the ground, when the stubble is about to be ploughed in so that as soon as it is ploughed in, there is no smell.
 He also told me that because he has no need to rotate the crops he will once again be sowing wheat. What was most surprising is that he told me that the yield should increase for the next 3 years. This is because of the seed which has been treated in such a way that it can be grown on the same field for several years.
 I noticed that when he was gathering the wheat in he had a combine harvester. As it was dusk, I was not sure it was him but he waved to me. He told me that he had bought the machine and that he had hoped I would have gone over to him for a ride. I told him that I might next year. We will see, but he let me know that there was a spare seat and the cab was nice and quiet. The harvester is steered by the rear wheels. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment