Thursday 27 September 2012

Poor season

It has been a poor growing season this year, even my runner beans have been less than prolific this year. Next door have fared even worse. My marrows seemed to get old before they were ready also fruit trees were very very poor indeed. No eating apples at all but I did manage to get a few plums. By the way folk were talking I was fortunate indeed.
 With the weather these last few days being so bad, I thought I might have a mouse in my polytunnel. I was wrong, I have mice, yes plural. So far after setting my trap 4 days ago I have caught 4. Heaven alone knows if there are any more but I have set my trap once again.
 It is common knowledge that animals have a sort of instinct when bad weather is around. It certainly is early for mice to find somewhere to winter this time of year. I guess they knew it was going to be a bad few days. Anyway I have managed to rid a few of them, keeping my fingers crossed.
 I thought I had a mouse because I found a small strawberry it was green and nowhere near ready, it was on the ground. I could see that it had been taken from the plant and that was the only thing I could think of. A mouse.
 My late sowing of French beans, the climbing type have proved a success. I did sow them in early August, in the polytunnel and I didn't know just how they would fare. I have given a few meals of beans away and had them for myself each day for well over 3 weeks. They are just about done though now. I have found that the only real way to get a good crop is to sow them under glass. Preferably in a polytunnel as they do much better than in a greenhouse. Don't try it with runner beans though. The temperature gets too hot for them and the beans won't set.
 In the greenhouse, my tomatoes are very late indeed. Most people I have spoken to have noticed that their's are late too. Today I managed to pick a few gardeners delight but to be honest, I have loads that are coming but I doubt if they will ever ripen. I will not be making tomato chutney though with the green ones. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment