Monday 3 June 2013

Sudden change

On Friday the weatherman said it was going to be a lovely day on Saturday. As usual the weather was dull and cold but it did brighten up at around 3.30pm. It then gradually became sunnier and towards 5.00pm. it was lovely. However it went dull soon after 6.00pm. and I expected the weather to be poor on Sunday.
 None of it, the day dawned without a cloud in the sky and it stayed like that until 8.30am. Then the clouds rolled in but we did get a little sun. Towards early afternoon the clouds rolled away and the sun shone. It was great to see the sun and I guess the fruit did too. Well the strawberries certainly did. I managed to pick enough for a meal on Sunday and today there was enough and some foe tomorrow too.
 My broad beans, although in flower have shot up these last 3 days to something like they should be. The fly in the ointment is the Hawthorn trees at the bottom of the garden. If I pick one seedling I must have picked 100. They just seem to grow all over. I guess it is the birds eating the berries and spreading the seeds with their droppings.
 I thought my Asparagus had finished completely but on looking today I could see that I could well get a few more feeds off the bed. I keep expecting the worst each year as I have had them for about 19 years and they say you can crop off them for 20 years. We shall see.
 I am managing to get a boiling of new potatoes each day now so with a bit of luck will not be buying any more until the late summer.
 I plan to go tomorrow to see the Guy who took over my old Business. He keeps in touch with me. If I can, I want to take him and his wife a taste of strawberries out of my polytunnel. They will appreciate them. Last year I took them a taste of runner beans. It was a bad year for them but managed to take a bag of them. His eyes lit up when I gave them to him. He explained that he didn't have time to grow any so was looking forward to a meal.
By the way, it is supposed to be quite nice all the week except Wednesday when it may be dull along the East Coast.
 I saw on T.V earlier today that Central Europe have had severe flooding. Germany and Czech Republic are worst affected. It seems as if the weather worldwide is in something of a turmoil.
Finally, I wonder if this find of Shale Gas will benefit us.Will theFracking will do us any good? If the same happens to that as happened to the North Sea Gas, then it is Heaven help us for it will be frittered away. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment