Thursday 27 June 2013

Toast

These are photos I took over the last couple of days.
 The first are of petunias. These were supplied to me as plug plants, to be honest there are a few that have dual colours on them. I was pleasantly surprised.
The second is of the many coloured flowers I have. Quite a lot of them are aquelegias. The bees, what we see anyway are busy collecting nectar from them so this makes me happy.
 It was a story of David Copperfield on Radio 4 extra that sparked this.
David Copperfield was stating that his Guardian had made a toasting fork. I wonder how many under the age of 40 have ever used a toasting fork? We had one and was used regular. Toast was a favourite way of using up stale bread. Every one had an open fire, one with a fire grate so in the cooler months when a fire was lit, toast would be had regular.
 My mate came to see me yesterday and he told me that he had made one. I told him that my Uncle had made ours. It was a basic steel model with a couple of prongs. My mate had made a far better quality one. This didn't surprise me as he is very good at DIY. He did say that often the bread would fall off and onto the fire. It would have to be hurriedly picked up and if it had been burnt, then a knife would scrape off the excess burnt bread. I also reminded him that often the toast had a smokey taste but it was much better than having to eat stale bread.
 Personally I preferred to have toast done the old fashioned way over the coal fire than the modern way of an electric toaster. I guess I am just an old man who is set in his ways. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment