Wednesday 2 October 2013

Rough weather

I have been a little fortunate really, the weather has been very very windy this last week or so but not cold.
 I went down to look at my fruit trees last week and was somewhat surprised because I noticed several eating apples had fallen on to the ground. I went to check the fruit and found that they were indeed ready, well the majority of them anyway.
 I got my plastic trays ready and went to pick the apples. It is surprising just how many apples can be on a small tree. I picked well over 150 apples then placed them that had no blemishes, well none that I could see, in the trays, making sure they do not touch. The variety of apple is called Sunset, a Cox variety that does better here in the North than Cox's Orange Pippin. They do keep well into the new year and if I am lucky they will keep until March. Not all of them but enough to keep me in apples for the majority of winter.
  My Bramley apples are very large and a lot have fallen off the tree because the woodlice have managed to get at them and eat a little at them. I will still have loads left and if I can find space, they will definitely last until April next year. 
 As I have mentioned I have had to purchase a new Fridge/Freezer and the storage space is not quite as large as the old one was. I have had  a Bramley in my old appliance in May last year, don't think this will happen in this one though.
 I am still getting a few runner beans but I can see the end is nigh with them. Still I am not going to grumble as I have had plenty off them.  More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment