Thursday 13 February 2014

A little surprised

Today was a much better day than recent days. With the weather being very wet for these last 2 months, it also means that it has been much milder than recent winters. The photo I took the other day shows a few polyanthus in flower. It means that although Winter is still around Spring is just around the corner. I noticed out in the south facing side that the daffodils were in bud, not nearly ready yet but last year they were late because of the cold easterly gales. I hope that the weather will quieten down if only for those poor folks that are flooded and some have been for a few weeks.             
here are my bread rolls, why I am showing them is because the yeast I used was not as fresh as I would like.
On January 22nd. my mate called and bought me some yeast from Morrison's. To be honest I never looked at the best before date. I did ask my mate to take one but he declined as he told me he wasn't making any bread for the next week or so.
 I expected him to be here this week but he told me his Partner had to go to Hospital, I asked if it was serious, he informed me it was a routine appointment. I of course understood. Anyway I decided to look at the yeast as I was getting low with my rolls. I generally cook about 16 and freeze them down. I guess I had about 3 left. When I looked at the yeast it looked fine, this surprised me as it was well over 2 weeks since my mate had bought the yeast. I then looked at the sell by date. I was amazed, it stated best before February 13th. I naturally thought this was incorrect but the way the rolls turned out it must have been right. There are 4 individual foil wrapped portions to the pack. Not bad as it costs about 50p a packet.
Well this was the result of the batch I made. I was so pleased how they turned out that I decided to make a second lot, they were equally as good.
 My problem is that as I get older I don't get the same equal size of roll but they will do me. It doesn't affect the taste. More soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those rolls look really great, Dd.

    Wish I were as handy as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete