Wednesday 12 February 2014

Celery Soup

I don't think I have told this tale before. It was seeing soup on the T.V that bought it back to me.
As all will know I had a café/restaurant and at lunch a 2 course meal was offered with soup or fruit juice being the first course.
I had always used Maggi soup mix as to me it was the best, certainly not the cheapest and they had a wide variety of soups. I had 12 different soups. Tomato, Spring Vegetable(a clear vegetable soup)Pea and Ham, Minestrone, Oxtail, Scotch Broth(incidentally my late Mother loved that soup)Asparagus(the least popular)Romany(this was a vegetable mainly made with green vegetables and the colour was green)Celery, Country Vegetable(a creamy vegetable soup)Mushroom, and French Onion. This soup was a dark soup and to be honest tended to taste a little burnt. So I had 12 different types of soup and hard as I tried I could not get another 2 different flavours made by Maggi to make 14. This was my aim so that if anyone stayed for a fortnight and came in for Lunch each day they would have a different soup each day. It was just 12 so that was that.
 I think I have mentioned it before but he started to work with us at the age of 15. My late Father often used to ask if he had a home to go to but I knew that his Parents were beginning to drift apart. Eventually getting divorced.
 As the years went on I gave him more responsibility. When he was about 18 I told him that he was in charge of the soups and he would choose the variety each day.
 I didn't bother him at all until I heard this customer state Celery soup again. With this I took notice and I stated to ask him what the soup was. It seemed that he had a fixation on Celery soup. Incidentally it was his favourite. It would go something like this day 1Tomato, day 2 vegetable, day 3 Celery day 4 Chicken day 5 celery  day 6 Oxtail day 7 Celery and so on. Anyway I tackled him about it and of course he denied it completely. I decided to make sure that it would never happen again. I got hold of him and together we lined up the 12 different variety of soups. I told him that he would start at the one on the left and work his way right each day until he reached the end then he would go back to the start. I told him that from now Celery would now be called Fixation soup. This was called until he left in the 1980s when he was in his 20s. He still calls it Fixation soups even today. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment