Thursday 20 February 2014

Rabbit catcher

The other day as well as doing some work on my garden I had a bonfire I lit it on the area of a tree hoping that the heat would kill the tree. By the looks of it I may have succeeded.
 My mate called yesterday and besides removing my fences, 5 in all and taking them up, with my help to the place where I hope they will be re-sited.
He also came up with a different idea to surround my raised beds, unfortunately I agreed and now I find that with his suggestion it means I will not have sufficient wood to do any more raised beds. I think I may just have enough for this bed I am on now.
 With the weather this morning being dull and wet, I didn't do much at all. It was around lunch time that I was taking a few hooks out of one of the long pieces of wood I was replacing. I heard my name being called. It was the man who occasionally comes to catch rabbits. The last time I saw him was I think in early January. He had caught one. Anyway he was just going to put his snares down. I guess it was about an hour later, I was in the kitchen preparing my dinner when I noticed the guy had a rabbit and was disembowelling it. I immediately went outside and waited for him to walk back. I didn't have to wait long. He had 2 doe rabbits and they were looking good. He told me they were heavy and that he had caught 4 today. He also told me that he would not be rabbit catching again this season as they had started to pair up. With the weather being so mild this winter they have paired up earlier than usual. He told me that he would not be catching rabbits again until late August or September.
 I told him that Butchers were crying out for rabbits. He told me that the cost of a rabbit was £4.50p too dear he said but that was the price. I don't think he sells them though. He did offer me one the first time I met him but I declined the offer.
 I find him interesting to talk to and as my ex Brother-in-Law was Farm Manager and during the winter months I knew a little about the Country lifestyle so we can converse on subjects that we are familiar with. Still I am a little sad that he will not be culling any more rabbits for a few months. He will keep calling to shoot wood pigeons though. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment