Friday 20 June 2014

Football


The first picture is of Little Marvel peas, damaged somewhat by the strong winds. The second is of the trial dwarf French bean Castandel, some are now just producing very small fruit so hopefully they will once more provide nice dwarf beans and plenty of them.
 England have, unfortunately been knocked out of the World Cup. It bought back to mind several ye4ars ago when I used to play golf.
 I used to play with a guy who played semi professional football. He had retired some time ago. He was just over 10 years younger than I was. Anyway it was approaching the World Cup and England had qualified to the Group Stages as they had done this year. He told me that he was sure England would win the World Cup and he was going to have a good bet on them at 16-1. I told him that I was surprised as England would NEVER win the World Cup again as long as the set up stayed as it is. He asked me to explain. I then asked him what league was the best in the World. He replied the Premier League. I then told him that as it was at present, most Premier League clubs often fielded no English players and when it was the First Division hardly any foreign players played so the Manger of the day had the 22 Football League teams to select from. Now the most the current Manager
would have to choose from is about 30 Premier League players. Most would be say defenders or mid field players so the chance of England winning the World Cup is zero.
 I think it sank in because he didn't have a bet on England and of course England didn't progress that far.     More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment