Monday 6 July 2015

Black Fly

As you can see I have broad beans, I have had to pick most of them because they have been attacked by black fly. I managed to freeze a 3kg. tub of beans, I never blanch them either as I have found they are perfect just cooking them from frozen. I do have enough for several meals and I intend to save the best plant with broad beans on for seed, therefore selecting the best ones to plant next year. I did pick about 10lb of beans.
 Incidentally I don't think I mentioned it but last week after my haircut I called at the Co-op and went to the check out there were a couple waiting and the lady in front noticed I had very little so offered to let me go in front of her. I declined thanking her and said we would have chat while we waited. I mentioned I had black fly on my beans, she immediately informed me that her Husband had bought a Plum tree, she then told me that he was asking for trouble as they are attacked by greenfly. Don't I know it!! mine once again have been inundated with greenfly, so much so that they have suffered badly this year.
 The young man came on Saturday morning for his meal. I saw the lady next door this afternoon enquiring how they got on at the week end with the pigeon racing. She told me they had won, it is the first race they have won this year. She went on to tell me that he had told her all he had. He did tell me that his favourite meal was steak pie. I had made a steak pie for my mate, I try to give him something different when he comes to see me. What was left I froze down. I also made a raspberry tart which I also froze. When he came I took them out of the freezer and put them in the oven to re-heat. Incidentally it was very nice. The neighbour told me the vegetables he had, garden peas, a few carrots out of his little piece of garden, runner beans out of the polytunnel and broad beans.. She finished off by saying she had BOUGHT a steak pie for tonight's meal. I wonder if the younger element know how to cook? Mind you I guess she is well into her 50s.
 We have had mixed weather, last Thursday it was so hot, in the 80s. muggy too the temperature according to my thermometer was 26.6c outdoors it was 25c inside. Thursday night Country wide was a thunderous night although we got away with it only having a little thunder and a steady rainfall, not enough to fill my water butts. Saturday was almost as hot, muggy once more but on Sunday morning, it rained and during the afternoon brightened up but late on we had a heavy downpour with plenty of thunder. This, thank goodness has cleared the air so it is once more bearable. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment