Thursday 30 July 2015

Wet weather

The weather this last fortnight has been very poor. Today my neighbour shouted to me. "I thought the weather was supposed to be better today". I told him I had seen the weather forecast and although the weather had improved, in Lincolnshire it was mainly dull with occasional rain. They were right about that.
 With my garden being very wet, the other day I lifted a potato root up and as I feared a couple of potatoes had been attacked by eel worm(slugs to us), so today I decided to lift another potato root up, this time only one appeared to have been attacked and surprisingly enough the others although very muddy seemed to be alright. I managed to clean most of the mud off and weighed the potatoes, it came to about 5 1/2 lbs. I am  well satisfied with the yield.
 The onions are swelling up but I don't expect them to store at all, they certainly wont keep until Christmas.
 I feel sorry for any holiday makers this week for it has been a very poor week indeed. I also feel for the business people who are trying to make a living out of the trippers. I know what it is like.
I posted this photo of the cucumber plant my mate gave me. I guess it stands a little over 12" but looks healthy enough. I know my mate's Partner will give him the information as she visits my blog. My mate also told me that he was inundated with cucumbers as his had done exceptionally well. I gave him a few cucumbers last year and told him to save the seed as I was very happy the way it had performed. He saved the seeds and sure enough cucumbers have been produced at a healthy rate. I will have to be patient though, but I do expect to have a few on later in the year. More soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment