Monday 20 July 2015

Rather ashamed

I was ashamed at my attempt of the last photos that today I took some more. I will be honest not all were acceptable but these 3 sort of passed muster. At least it does give one an idea as to how big the onions are. The last photo gives an idea as to the size of the shallots. The plum tomatoes are full of flesh, not much seed  and no juice at all. I definitely like them.
 The mug is there to give a proportionate size, it is a normal 1/2 pint mug. I didn't think to turn it round but on the reverse it says Mojo cash and carry. I got this from a Cash & Carry called Grice, there were 2 of them near Grimsby and the other was called Big N. I used to go there preferably but they closed down. The mug was on offer from Grice when purchasing a 1000 Typhoo tea bags. I used them when I was in catering and never had any complaints. It was the only bag with the offer, it was inside the catering bag of tea bags. Incidentally as I said I preferred Big N. and the Manager was good to me. I had been a few times and to be honest I only went there about 4 times a year but used to buy quite a lot of stuff. Well he came up to me one day and told me that they had a policy but didn't let everyone know about it. He said that if I spent over £100 in a single visit, I could ask for a 1% discount when I went to the check out to pay. The operator put in a key to access the discount. I never saw anyone else ask or get a discount. I know this doesn't sound much but this was either the late 70s or early 80s and the discount more than paid for the fuel to near Grimsby and back, a round journey of about 60 miles. Petrol was something like 37p a gallon in those days. I could easily spend more than £100 at a time because I used to buy their tinned stewing steak, the old 1lb tin. Of course they were in packs of 24 and they cost 95p each tin. They were perfect for me making my home made steak pies and the meat was very tasty with very little fat. My late Mother used to like the taste and if you could suit her then it was good enough for me.
 Tomorrow I go to collect my winnings, hopefully. That is the chocolate cake from the Co-op. Wednesday morning I go to have my eyes examined by the retinopathy unit, they come to the local surgery in a mobile unit. They put drops in your eyes to enlarge the pupils, it stings for a minute or so. You have your eyes photographed and have to read the usual letters to see if you are capable of driving etc. You are advised not to drive for at least 2 hours after the test but I only live about 3 miles and I have had the experience several times before so I will drive home. It does take about 3 hours before normal vision is restored. Enough of these ramblings More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment