Tuesday 26 April 2016

Egg!!!

On Friday afternoon I went up the garden to look for weeds in the orchard where it has been graveled. I check up there almost every day just to pick the weeds up.
 I noticed where there are a couple of polyanthus plants one had a piece of white showing so I went to investigate. To my surprise I saw an egg. It was obviously a wood pigeons egg, about the size of a bantam egg. I did no more than pick it up and went straight back inside.

The next two photos show just how the egg looked and to be honest I didn't know if it was addled so I cracked it carefully but before I did that I did put a little lard in the egg pan, incidentally I hadn't used it for several years. I looked at the egg  and it seemed to be fine so I lit the gas and when the lard was hot enough I then placed the egg in the pan. I was pleasantly surprised because it was just as a hens egg should be and when it was cooked I ate it and to be honest it tasted great.                                    
The weather changed over the week end so much so that on Monday I decided to do my shopping as Tuesdays weather was bad. Off I went to Mablethorpe and first popped in to the local warehouse and as I was about to walk in I saw they had seed potatoes for sale at £1.50 p. for 3 kilos. I thought that it was so cheap that they would be no good at all. Anyway I went in for a few potatoes to eat, a tin of stewing steak so I have on in reserve and a cabbage. At the check out I asked the lass who I know well what variety of seed potatoes they were and she replied that they were labeled. I decided to buy one and told her I would call back after I had put the bag of potatoes and other things in my car boot. 
I looked at the assortment of seed potatoes and noticed one bag was of Estima, a favourite of mine that you don't see very often. They are ideal for boiling as they keep their shape but to be candid they are not the best for chipping. When I got back home, although it was cold I set nearly all of the potatoes some 30 tubers and left about 4 to plant out. No sooner had I got indoors when the phone rang, it was my Best Pal who asked me if |I would be in later, of course I told him I would. He arrived about 2.30.pm. and I did warn him that the lad from next door would call in to see him. The lad likes him as he talks to him and makes a fuss of him too. One thing the lad told us was that his Dad had his car confiscated  as it had no Licence. We assumed that he meant his VED had run out. The lad was laughing when he told us. He said his Brother had informed him. More soon.                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment