Thursday 23 February 2017

Gales and rain

I certainly looked forward to a little rain especially as my main water butt was low but I didn't look forward at all to the gale force winds. In fact yesterday was very windy as I tried to prepare a couple of raised beds ready to set in a couple of weeks time. I did find that the first one I dug was still very wet, heaven knows what it will be like today as my flower bed is under water.  I didn't try to do any other raised beds but instead did a little cleaning of my foot paths by hand, this is where the  hose pipe will not reach. I did manage to get a lot done but checked my guttering. I am pleased I did because there is a lot of dirt and debris that must be cleaned before the Spring. That is a job for tomorrow, weather permitting.
 Today has been a day of just watching to see if any damage has occurred, so far apart from buckets and plant pots being dispatched all over the garden, all seems to be coping well. Mind you there is supposed to be a few more hours of severe gales to come.
 Yesterday I did look in the Greenhouse and noticed the first seed potato had just popped up. I set 4 Arran Pilot seed potatoes in early January, so at least they have survived, all I can do now is protect them from any late frost and water them well.
 On Tuesday I wet to the Post Office to pay some off my credit card, the lass behind the counter mentioned the nice weather and then suggested that this might be the start of Spring. I bet she doesn't think that now although it is not exceptionally cold for late February.
 I checked once more the sell be date on the 1% skimmed milk, it was for March 3rd. which reminded me that we are almost at the end of this month. A colleague who we played golf together always told me that he didn't mind February at all as it was only a short Month. It is true that this month seems to have flown by.
 My Sister rung me up on Monday and told me she had not been too well, she is the youngest out of us four siblings. She told me she had to go in Hospital for a hysterectomy and my Eldest Sister who is nearly 84 has dizzy spells cause by an infection in her ear so she has difficulty in standing. My younger Sister who is almost 3 years younger than I am is suffering from some sort of dementia, she lives in Scotland but you can't seem to get that much information from her daughter, all she says is that Mum doesn't talk much but they are happy together. So all in all I must not complain as I can still get around and potter, make my own meals and keep my place reasonably clean. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment