Tuesday 28 February 2017

Plenty of rain

I checked my greenhouse a few days ago and noticed that the first seed potatoes I set in early January was just poking through. A few days later the other seed potatoes I had set in tubs were also beginning to poke their heads through. So at least things are beginning to move albeit slowly. On saying that I do in fact have a few daffodils just breaking into flower which is rather early for me, those are facing South and are protected by the fence.
 I tried to dig a couple of raised beds, although I did manage with digging the raised beds from the outside so not treading on the earth at all but it will be some considerable time before the ground is dry and warm enough to start my sowing.
 With the heavy and consistent rain I have managed to have my main water butt refilled once more. I didn't expect this to happen for a couple of weeks. Last week I had one day where we had over 1.5" of rain and even yesterday with so many heavy showers we had just under 1/2" of rain, needless to say much of my garden is standing in water.
 I went for my Pension this morning, although it was cold at least it was sunny but I noticed that many of the fields that had been set by the Farmers had many pools of standing water. What we need is what we are not getting much of that is sun.
 I bought another apple tree digging up the Laxton Superb up, I bought it from a Garden Centre where the guy went bust. He sold it to me as a dwarf rooting stock but it certainly was not The new tree is of dwarf rooting stock growing to about 7' maximum over a number of years. The variety is Braeburn. It keeps well and is nice tasting too. I did buy with the apple tree another plum a Victoria which I have planted in a sort of tub. It is a canvas bag especially designed for trees so I will see what happens. This year will be a growing year but next year I should have fruit.
 Tomorrow is the first day of Spring according to the Weathermen but as far as I( am concerned it happens on the Spring equinox which is March 21st. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment