Thursday 2 March 2017

More rain


Yesterday my Postman friend bought me some guttering mesh, it is fitted over the gutters to reduce the leaves and debris from collecting in the gutter. I had, beforehand cleaned and removed the old guards which had been there for a few years but it had served it's purpose, so yesterday afternoon I fitted the new mesh. I just did it in time for this morning when I looked out at my garden I once again noticed that there were plenty of standing water. I checked my water gauge and saw that last night we had another 1/2" of rain, more unfortunately is forecast and the next few days don't sound great.
I took these photos this morning once it brightened up, it shows the emerging daffodils just about to flower. I did tell the Postman not to try to do any digging yet. I tried to do a little digging on one of my raised beds but even using a garden fork, the earth was sticking to the fork.
This morning I decided to go round next door where the lad had stood on one of my bars on my fence, naturally it could not stand his weight, mainly because it was not new. To be honest it was not in great form and although it would have lasted a few more years it was beginning to rot. It didn't take long as the base board was soon removed. I did have a replacement piece of wood, not that this one was in great shape but it will last me for a while. I didn't take that long as it to me was cold.
I did check in my polytunnel and noticed my peas which I set on February 16th. I did let them soak for a day so it did make a lot of difference. I also checked my potatoes, covering them up with a little more compost. My broad beans are slowly growing, as the Postman told me that the odd piece of growth is beginning to show in the hedge rows, not that I have noticed any yet but to be honest I have not been looking . I have been looking at the fruit trees and I will admit that some are beginning to show signs of life but it is the beginning of March, known as March manyweathers. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment