Tuesday 14 March 2017

Problem.


The weather according to London was nice over the week end but here we didn't see any sun at all. Although it was not wet it was very dull although not cold. Yesterday started out to be a lovely day but around 1.30pm. it suddenly turned cloudy and we didn't see the sunshine no more. Today has been mild and rather hazy but at least it hasn't rained. I went to go to the Post office and on my return I noticed several fields in a poor state, there were many areas of the fields still standing in water.
 yesterday afternoon I decided to check on my garden to see if the ground was drying up. I noticed that a glass panel on my greenhouse had slipped completely down to the ground. I had a good look and immediately noticed that the clips holding the glass panes were beginning to rot. They are made of some sort of plastic and have small sort of panel pins to hold the glass in place. Originally I was offered picture glass size panes but I asked for a strengthened glass, although it cost a lot more I felt happy that I had chosen a more solid pane of glass. Anyway I tried to move the glass but had no joy. I thought about the problem for a little and went indoors to first get my gardening gloves and a large screwdriver. I then tried to prize the end up from the ground, I didn't expect it to move but it did a little. I then looked for some pieces of wood, very thin at first and gradually looking for larger thicker pieces. I surprised myself at the success I had and although it took well over an hour to get the pane in place, I then got the wood to hold it in situ. I went and got my electric screwdriver and a few screws. I then put the screws in the wood leaving them proud enough so the the pane of glass rested on the screws. Tomorrow when my mate comes I will ask him if he can to get some more of those clips so that I can replace the old ones. Hopefully that will do the trick.
I gave him the news that I set a couple of cucumber seeds and put them in the airing cupboard. As my mate told me that they were a bit temperamental  I didn't check them for nearly a week. When I did, I was surprised for that were up and certainly ready to be taken out of the darkness as they were looking very pale. I also have dug him up some raspberries as I can no longer enjoy them because of my dentures. He had previously informed me that most of his had died. I did tell him the they do not like the lime soil that we have in this location. They prefer an acid soil but they will survive in the soil we have, I just told him to give them a taste of ericaceous liquid occasionally. To grow such as Blueberries it is suggested that on plants them in a pot with ericaceous compost, this way they will thrive for several years although not grow as good as in an acid soil. 
Finally the photos show that the polyanthus are beginning to flower. Also the seed potatoes I set on February 19th. and covered with twin wall polycarbonate sheeting some are just poking through so I will leave them covered up for some time yet. More soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment