Tuesday 7 March 2017

Accountant

I don't think I have mentioned it before but my Accountant used to visit me every Boxing Day. He used to see me after going to see his friend who used to run a Business in Mablethorpe.
 This particular time he called, I guess it was in the 80s. Anyway it was about the second year that the Christmas Market was held at Lincoln. Of course it was nothing like it is now for it has grown to be a popular Market with traders coming from Europe.
 Now to the story. My Accountant came in and I made him the usual coffee, he then told me that I was in the wrong business. I told him that I knew that. He then went on to tell me about a guy who went to Lincoln Market selling the Father Christmas hats. They were all the rage, they were red bobbly hats with a white edge. He told me that this guy had decide to get a stall for a couple of nights and sell these wooly type hats and that he had done a roaring trade selling the hats at 50p each and took £5000. I immediately asked him how long he was there, on that my Accountant told me that he only went for about 3 hours for a couple of nights.
 I immediately told him "Never on your life". He then said that what he was told. I told him that it was impossible for a sole trader to sell that amount of gear in that time. I then told him that I would give him 10 hours over 2 days, not the 6 hours that he was told. I then told him that it meant he had to sell 1000 hats every hour and broke it down to to every minute which meant he had to sell a hat in less than 16 seconds and it was not possible to give out the change in that time let alone sell hats.
 After a couple of minutes working it out for himself he finally decided that the information he was given was incorrect.
  When he left I sat down and thought to myself, what sort of an Accountant would believe such figures. When my Best Pal called to see me I told him of the episode I had with my Accountant and suggested to him that I was the biggest fool for employing him. He told me that every Accountant he had met was only happy when confronted with figures, they, as he put it were in their element.
 We had discussed before the necessary evils. The three were Estate Agents, Accountants and Solicitors because they produced NOTHING but charged extortionate prices. Unfortunately when one was in Business one had to employ an Accountant. I don't know if that is so today for I retired from my Business well over 25 years ago.
 My daffodils are coming out nicely but unfortunately with the gale force winds they are not looking good. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment