Thursday 18 May 2017

Washout

Yesterday it rained all day and at times very heavy rain. This morning I saw the Postman and he told me that he measured the rain gauge and in millimeters it measured just under 40. According to mine, here we had almost 2" of rain.
 It reminds me of my late Mother after a long dry spell which we have had here she would say " It has forgotten how to rain, unfortunately when it remembers how to rain it forgets ho to stop." This seems to be true for although today has been sunny at times tomorrow is forecast to be dull and wet again.
 I made the most of the weather this morning and planted out some plants that I have been waiting to plant out for some time. Whilst I was in the garden I heard a Cuckoo, a most unusual sound these days. When we were young many years ago in April and May you could hear the sound of a Cuckoo very regular but to see them wasn't easy. They are a dull looking bird and much larger than say a blackbird. This Cuckoo was travelling so I heard it singing for about a minute.
 My mate called yesterday and we emptied, well almost emptied my very large water butt. With all the rain we have had yesterday it is just over half full and if the forecast is correct, I expect to see the gauge well over 3/4 full. Let us hope that we have cleaned the butt sufficiently.
 On Monday I am going to  a Seamstress, for a first consultation about making a pair of bib and brace. I know I can get them anywhere but not the style that British Railway bib and brace are. As I am now wearing the last set which I was given in the 1960s. I left in 1964, so that they are getting a little past their best. The lady lives a few miles away and she generally makes Wedding Dresses so it will not be cheap. Let us hope she can do the goods to my satisfaction. Of course I will keep everyone who bothers to read this blog informed. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment