Tuesday 9 May 2017

Winter?

The weather here this last week or so has been very windy very cold and very cloudy. It has reminded me of when I was in Business many years ago.
 In fact it was 1975. The warmest Summer we have had in ages but it didn't start off like that. I had a cafe/restaurant and it was Spring Bank Holiday. This family had been to Mablethorpe for several years and always had their dinner(lunch to the posh folks) the family consisted of Mum and Dad a young lad aged about 14 who was mentally disturbed and the Mother's Mother. She would be in her late 60s the Family grown ups would be around 40 years of age.
 It was the Father of the Boy who was the only one who could controll him. According to my late Father the lad was in a secure home but they allowed the parents to take him on holiday. To be honest he seemed to be no trouble at all. They always came for their meal early so that they could get away for we got busy with the lunchtime rush.
  We found out that they stayed in a Holiday Complex so not in a caravan but a Chalet.
  Well this year it was just like it is now, bitter cold and the Grandmother told my Father that the only heating was a small electric heating element just above the entrance door. She told my Father that if it didn't warm up she was going back home as it was just too cold.
 believe it or not, they had snow in early June in Derbyshire where there was a First Class Cricket Match on. I think this was on Tuesday but by Friday it had warmed up very nicely.
 The Family was booked in for 2 weeks as normal but on the second week with the temperature rising fast the Grandmother told me Father that it was just too hot for her and she couldn't believe that a few days earlier she was in the Arctic conditions.
They did stick it out for the rest of the week  and seemed to be happy with the weather too.
 They came for a few years. I didn't mention this before but the Mother of the lad was very large, what you would certainly call very obese but the last time thy all came we didn't recognise the Mother, she was obviously not well at all, I guess she had lost well over 12 stone in weight and looked dreadful although we treated her as if nothing had changed although she had little energy but she didn't want to spoil the rest of them enjoying  their holiday.
 Unfortunately we never saw then again but we guessed that the Mother had subsequently passed away.
 Let us hope that this year will be on the same sort of track which means it will be a very warm dry Summer. Mind you I hope we get some rain for I am waiting to plant out a lot of bedding plants. I did plant some broccoli plants out but they succomed to the dry, cold windy weather. I have sown more seeds.  More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment