Friday 16 March 2018

Short Straw

On Monday I had to visit the dentist early so that it made a visit to the hairdresser not possible. Tuesday is the Auction day so I planned to go to have my haircut on Wednesday.
 So early Wednesday morning I set off intending to call at the local filling station to get some petrol which I did get. On leaving I hadn't gone far when I saw a large number of vehicles waiting as it happened to join the main road. It took about 10 minutes to get on the main road and a further 10 minutes to travel some 150 yards to the free Car Park. I had noticed last time I went there that people were going to the ticket machine so this time I did check and it informed us to get a ticket. To me it is a waste of money for it is FREE parking all day.
 After getting the ticket and displaying it in my car, off I went to the Barbers Shop which is only about 200 yards away at most but as I approached the place was in darkness and I saw pinned to the front door a notice that the shop would be closed for the week due to holidays and an apology for any inconvenience caused. So it was off back home but to be honest the return journey was not bad. It had taken me at least 30 minutes to travel 6 miles at most including fuel but less than 15 minutes to get back home.
 The disappointment didn't stop there. I had asked my mate if he could to call at the local Builder's Merchants for some battens. He emailed me informing that he had bought 10 but the lengths were smaller than last time. He told me in metres but I am in my 80s and I am not conversant in metres which he knows too well.
 When they arrived I noticed that they were a lot smaller, the original lengths were about 14' 6". These looked nothing like the length that I had required for I need to get at least 2x6' lengths. When I measured them to my horror I saw that they were less than 12' long, that means that I can only get one length. The most disappointing thing is my mate knew that the minimum lengths I required were 6'. When I emailed him to let him know that they were not suitable all he informed me was that the Suppliers only did that length. I was surprised my mate didn't inform me prior to ordering. I know for certain that if if the lengths were not suitable for him he would not have bought them. So now I will try to get some small pieces in to try to get the fit somehow but not this week as the weather forecast for the weekend is poor. Not that it has been good lately for the last 2 days it has been cold dull and wet at times. I hope to get the lad to help me with some panels which have to be lifted ou for some have buckled like a bow. Needless to say I will try to do my best, at least they will be better than they are now. These things are sent to try us.
 So next Monday I intend to go to have my haircut, weather permitting. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment