Thursday 3 February 2011

Memories

I honestly don't know how this was bought to mind but this happened and to be honest I am a little ashamed to admit this.
This happened at least 50 years ago. While working on the footplate on B.R. there was the odd occasion during the slack winter period we would be requested to work in Peterborough. The system worked thus. We would sign on then walk from the loco to the station, less than 3 minutes walk, catch a train to Peterborough, generally walk to New England loco which was a 30 minute walk, we would then be assigned a driver to work with but only on local workings. There would be generally 4 of us that would go.
Well this night I was given a Driver Reynolds and we went out to do some local shunting. He was a pleasant man. When we finished the shift, we had to fill in a time sheet detailing what we had been doing and with whom you were with. It was this that made me feel ashamed. I asked him how he spelt his name. Was it Renn. No he told me politely it was Reynolds. I was full of apology as I realised immediately I had made a huge error. When we finished the shift, thank goodness there was generally transport to take you back to the station so that you could catch a train to Grantham then sign off. Of course travel was free.
I was originally rostered with a man called Roy, who died several years ago. We both started work on the same day and kept in touch with each other when working. I told Roy the story that I had asked the driver how to spell his name laughing and telling him I was ashamed. He bust out laughing. He told me he had a couple of nights later had this driver and had done exactly the same thing. With that I also laughed again saying to him that he would think that all in Grantham were thick. Mind you I have never forgotten how to spell that name again.
Now to something different. With football transfers all the rage I wonder if anyone is like me. Surely no person can be worth £50m. This is just the start. Fernando Torres, who cannot be blamed, is guaranteed £165,000 a week for the next 4 years. I have worked it out and he will get, I will not say earn, more in just over a week than I earned in all my years prior to retirement. £8.5m a year is beyond most men's comprehension. Am I jealous? No it seems to me that the gap between rich and poor is getting ever wider. So endeth this comment. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's a rum world that of professional football. It's like the select few at the top in Formula 1. But, of course, it simply indicates those sports astounding popularity. Nothing compares so of course the top people are paid disproportionately. It's called a Capitalist Society! And you should know all about that!

    Great story about riding 'on the cushions' and getting your depot and town a bad reputation as a load of uneducated guys! But of course if you were all bunking off school and leaving before time . . .

    ReplyDelete