Tuesday 22 February 2011

More about last Friday

Yes it is about last Friday when my friend came to do odd jobs.
Well he didn't have a lot to do and while we were waiting for the lunch to cook incidentally we had chicken potatoes, leeks and carrots. Anyway he told me that he had been to see his G.P recently and told me that he was retiring, he added that he was only 60 and had offered to work part time only for the senior partners in the Practice where he works to tell him he must either work full time or not at all. He told my mate that he decided to retire completely, he wanted to do some hiking in Peru.
This story bought to mind the 2 times I played golf with a G.P. Both times I did not know they were Doctors at the time.
The first time was when I was in what was known as The Seniors Open. Most golf clubs have this competition. I was paired with 2 other guys. This man introduced himself as John a 69 year old man, I told him I was 66. It was not until we were on the 14th tee that the third person who we were playing with asked John if he was still working at the Doctors surgery. He told him that he worked sometimes as a locum and sometimes just twice a week. That was how I knew he was a Doctor.
The second time was when my playing partner was in the monthly competition, when you played when you wished. While on the 1st tee this woman came and asked me if I minded if we were joined by 2 others. I immediately said of course not. My partner didn't like playing with lady golfers. I did not mind too much, anyway she was well liked and I always enjoyed her company.
She introduced this man called Clive, she told me that it was his first competition and that he was a little nervous. I assured her that all would be O K and she told me that this was why she asked to play with us.
It was not until we were on the 10th tee that I heard Clive ask my playing partner, who had just lit a cigarette "How many of those do you smoke a day?" I heard my partner say to him that he was out playing golf and not in the surgery. When I got him alone I asked him what he had meant. He then said that he was Dr****** and the woman who was playing with us was his secretary, and he suspected a little more too. He mentioned that although he went to the same group of G.Ps. He was not his Doctor. I didn't mention it again.
It would be several months later when Clive was waiting to walk his dogs on the beach, he caught sight of me and said this. "You are lucky to be playing golf, I'm pissed off, thoroughly pissed off." Just a minute Clive I retorted, soon you will not see me on this golf course until after the season as I will be working 7 days a week during the summer. I then suggested that he do the same as I intended to do, that is retire at 60. He looked at me and just said that he could not quite afford it.
The last time I saw him was much later in the year, I guess October. He was on the wrong fairway and we were waiting for him to play. Well he was messing about so much that I went to him and said this. "Clive what the hell are you playing at". " I don't know what club to take" he said. I then remarked. " I hope you don't treat your patients this way". What he replied made me laugh. " No I treat them worse." When I calmed down a little I just said to him. "I think it's time you retired. I'm working on it" he said.
Several months later I was told that Dr**** had retired and left the area and gone to live down south. I wonder if it was my suggestion that made him retire. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, well - sometimes it's those little conversations which you don't think so very significant at the time which can have the greatest effect.

    It's like if you have a little psychic ability it's best to be careful what you with for - or you might find you get it!

    ReplyDelete