Wednesday 26 October 2011

Busy and annoyed

Yesterday I had one of those days.
First of all, I went online to order some bird seed. As you know, I have poor eyesight. To be honest it is beginning to concern me. I use a jewellers magnifying glass to see things.
Anyway, I went and ordered this bird seed, unfortunately, I typed in my expiry date 1 year sooner than it was. To my horror, the debit card was blocked. It stated that I must contact my Bank and get it unblocked.
Anyway, I rung the Bank up. That's right, you are in a queue. It took almost 25 minutes before I was answered. When I explained what had happened, the operator was surprised. I went back to the site and read what it had printed out to me. Her explanation was not what I had expected. She told me that I might have to go to a cash machine and unblock the card myself.
I was furious, I told her that in no uncertain circumstances would I be going several miles to a cash machine, incidentally I have never used a cash machine in my life. I informed her that I would guarantee that as night follows day, if the card was not unblocked I would immediately close my account with the Bank.
With this, she told me to try again in about 2 hours.
Well this morning I went online. I forgot to tell you, the site wrote to me asking me if anything was wrong as I had been online and had not proceeded with my purchase. I wrote and explained to them.
Well, as I say, I went back to the site. Once again put all details in and this time it went through up to the point of asking me for a password.
I was astounded as I have never been asked this before and as far as I know did not have one. I put in my security number, but nothing. I then tried 2 other words that I thought would be a password. Correct, the third time, once again the debit card was blocked.
I did nothing more that get typing a letter to the Bank informing them that with immediate effect, I am closing my account and was enclosing my debit card which I had destroyed. I cut this up into several pieces.
I then rung this Company up and explained what had happened. I asked if I could send a cheque and then they could send me the goods. This was readily accepted, so tonight I am sending a cheque. I know this will take a few days but at least I will eventually get the goods. By the way, the total was for less than £40 in total.
I then rung my own Bank main office. I explained that I wanted a debit card but my Branch told me that it had to be activated by going to a cash machine. The lady there informed me that I had a debit card that was ready to use as it had been activated. I told her that it was ages ago that I was sent one, it was the Branch Manager who told me I had to go to a cash machine to activate this. She informed me that this was in 2009.
Well, this sounds as if I have a replacement debit card. God only knows if I have a password. If this is so, then it will be of no use to me at all.. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Heeheehee...... Don't tell me you actually walk inside a bank and deal with a human teller to get cash!! How very mid-twentieth century! Haha.. My bank will charge me if I go inside and deal with one of their tellers more than a specified number of times in a month anyway. I forget what the number is - probably 2 or 3. I have been inside a bank only twice in the past two years - only because I had some rolled coins in my deposit and they wouldn't fit in the ATM slot (heehee..)

    Oh, and your debit card won't work with the ATM without your password (we call it a PIN). If you tried and it was wrong the machine might even confiscate your card! I'm quite certain that when you first got the debit card you were assigned a PIN or were given instructions on how to establish one.

    One time when I used my debit card to make a purchase (which I rarely do) my fat finger accidentally pressed a wrong digit entering my PIN, so I immediately pressed 'Cancel" and reentered the correct PIN. The bank's computer blocked my card, causing me to be much embarrassed - and I had to pay cash. But I was able to call the bank and have the block removed.

    Actually, I understand your frustration. It does no good, however, to even attempt to argue with a computer and the annoyance can only increase when you deal with humans who don't understand the systems they work with.

    ReplyDelete