Tuesday 4 October 2011

Just bits and bobs

I don't know what bought this to mind, well actually I do.
I was on the toilet today and I foolishly bought a special pack of a well known brand of toilet paper from ASDA. Yes, you have guessed it, the paper is so thin that ones' fingers just go through it.
Anyway I was looking and noticed that I had as old Izal paper toilet paper. It must be 20 years old but it is similar to a paper bag.
I immediately went back to my days at infant school. If one wanted to go to the toilet we had to ask for a piece of paper. there was no toilet rolls in any of the toilets as this was in the early days of the war.
The teacher would go to a cupboard and get a piece of paper, screw it up and roll it in a ball working on it to make it as soft as she could before handing it out to the child.
Would the youngsters believe this happened in the 20th. century?
Almost every home had a button tin. When clothes were discarded, naturally it was beyond repair, buttons were cut off and put in a tin.
My Grandfather would take clothes if he thought they were of any value. He would cut them up and make peg rugs. They were dreadful rugs, dirt traps as they seemed to attract every bit of dirt and kept it trapped in the rug. No hoovers in those days.
All of the woolens and pyjamas were used as either dust cloths or dish, or floor cloths. All woolen knitted clothes were pulled down and knitted up again. Mind you, the wool had lost it's pile and looked like a modern machine knitted acrylic jumper.
In our home we also had a tin for paper bags. I am sure that we would not be the only home that did this. It was a system that we all got used to. Nothing was ever thrown away unless it was completely beyond any use.
we also had a greased paper tin. Lard, marg and butter papers were saved. These were used for steamed puddings, spotted dick and other puddings that needed to be wrapped in greased proof paper.
String was saved, wrapping paper, especially brown paper wrapping. when the shoes were gone completely, the laces were taken out and saved. It is difficult to explain to anyone who has not been bought up to economise just how little was thrown away.
Next door had a few chickens which she had to give so many each week to the Ministry of Food. Well when she had an egg, the shells were put in the oven to dry and when cool they were broken into little pieces and given to the chickens as grit.
It is these funny things that I think of every now and again. Nothing is elaborated, all is true.
Tomorrow I will try to think of other things that come to mind. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Good Grief! Outdoor pools here (in the northern states, that is) don't open until Memorial Day, May 31st - and even then it is too cold.

    I recall as a teenager I went to Lake Ontario in late June and the water temperature was 60 degrees! OMG! OMG! OMG! I got in up to my knees and quickly turned around and headed back to the beach. I was not going to permit the water to reach more delicate regions.

    ReplyDelete