Monday 24 October 2011

Many restrictions

People will forget just how many restrictions there were.
I too have forgotten most. Shops were not allowed to open on a Sunday, the only ones that were allowed were little corner shops and they were restricted in what they could sell.
Public Houses were only allowed to open on a Sunday from Noon until 2.00pm and from 7.00pm until 10.00pm.
I went down to the seaside in the late sixties. there after a local by-law even Fish Shops were restricted to how many Sundays they were permitted to open. I think it was at Easter then from Spring Bank Holiday until some time in September. It was something like 16 Sundays in a year.
Mind you, it didn't just stop with shops. I can remember somebody telling me about Sunday cricket. This was in the early 60s. You could not start a Cricket Match before 2.00pm and you could not charge an entry fee. This was got around by charging for a programme. Mind you this was not compulsory. The Match had to be finished by 7.00pm.
Even today, there are restrictions. Supermarkets are not allowed to open before I think 10.00am and must close by 4.00pm on a Sunday . This stems from the Lords Observance Society. Going back to heaven alone knows.
Will the restrictions ever be lifted? Certainly not in my life time.
Tomorrow, I will talk about early days of the Television. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment