Thursday 6 October 2011

Wearing out

I must tell you this, my best pal called to see me yesterday. I was surprised as he had told me last time he called that it would be mid October before he came again.
Anyway he came down, told me that he had his hearing tested and had been to the hospital for a consultation and was advised that a hearing aid would help him.
Well we have discussed the subject on hearing, me with my sight and teeth too.
I then told him that this happened the day before. The phone rang and answered it. I honestly thought the voice on the other end said. " Registrars here can I have a few words?". I was somewhat taken aback. By the way it was a woman with a Scottish Accent. Well I told her that it would be alright and then said to her "Did you say Registrars Office?" The reply came back. "NO, British Gas." I broke into fits of laughter. I couldn't stop laughing for about a minute. When I recovered my composure, I suggested that she could have a laugh with the others in the office telling them who I thought was calling.
My pal laughed heartily with me and suggested that I also should get a hearing aid. I told him that I was at the surgery, clinic dentist and Hospital far too often already and didn't want anymore.
I then reminded him that my eyesight was poor. I have cataracts in both eyes and I am losing all of my calcium and now only have 4 of my own teeth left.
Talking of sight, I had my flu jab today. I thought I would get everything organised so went there about 5 minutes early so that when I booked in I would be in good time. I also bought my appointment card.
Everything went to plan until one of the assistants asked me who was giving me the injection. I told her and know her well. I couldn't see here anywhere, I asked one of the assistants where she was, she was bent over and when she stood up, I immediately saw it was her. I was surprised but said the right thing. "Chris you've dyed your hair, I didn't recognise you. It makes you look a lot younger". Of course she was thrilled to hear that from me. Is it my eyes? or is it that I am getting older. No comments please.
Just one thing about my younger days.
As I told you before I went to a Secondary School. From Whitsuntide, which fell 6 weeks after Easter, we had swimming lessons in an outdoor pool. Council owned and open to the general public. In general though we went in the morning so it was rare to see anybody else there. Please remember that Easter could fall in the middle of March and so Whitsun would be 6 weeks later. As it was half term a weeks holiday was taken so that swimming lessons could start in early May. The coldest water temperatures we saw was 56F. Your balls seemed to shrink and lift near to your mouth. It was dreadfully cold at times. I wonder if they would allow it these days.
The swimming lessons continued until the Summer Holidays. It was the same with Cricket. This also started after Whitsun until the holidays. I can understand why my Mother was not prepared to go without just to buy me white flannels so that I could play cricket. Mind you, she knew it was my favourite game, but that is how it was in those days. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment