Monday 3 October 2011

Names

It was while I was thinking of one day at the kiosk that the names came to mind.
This man came in with a young child. He was carrying him as he had a broken leg. I guess the lad was only just have learned to walk as I guess he was a little over a year old. Well in passing I asked the man who was carrying him what his name was. He replied it was Mustapha. I immediately retorted. " Oh my god he will have his leg pulled a lot when he gets older." I had a woman who worked for me there at the time, she had to leave the kiosk because she couldn't control her laughter. She also had bad asthma and she told me later she felt ill because she was short of breath with laughter. The man who was carrying him also saw the funny side.
Talking of names took me back to my youth. We lived on a private housing estate. Now I guess it would be run by a Housing Association. Anyway my Father whenever he saw this man would call him Seppi. I plucked up courage one day to ask him how he got the name Seppi. He explained that his real name was Septimus. He was called that because he was the 7th child. He then told me something I had no idea of. My Aunty Ena as I knew her was christened Guyena, this was because she was born on Guy Fawkes day.
It was when I left school and worked on the Railway that I knew this man called Chris. He told me that his proper name was Christmas as he was born on Christmas Day. I didn't know whether to believe him but some other man told me this was true.
There were a few names that were unusual. One was called Austin, his brother was called Ruben, another was Earl and one was Isaac.
I think tomorrow I will talk once again of some odd things of my youth. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment