Monday 31 October 2011

Quiet times

The last few days have been quiet for me. Weather wise it has been very warm for the time of year. Over in the Eastern States of America, they have had snow. Not a few inches that we generally get but lots. I feel for all of those who have no electricity. This was caused in general by the weight of snow, which I think was the wet type, settling on the leaves of trees. The leaves had not fallen off the trees so the weight snapped many branches. This in turn pulled power lines down. I wonder if after all this. they will now bury power cables underground. Here in this country they have considered it but they say the cost would be too high. Does this make sense when a million or more people in the USA have been without electricity?. How much disruption was caused to industry also?
Now I have given it lots of thought recently and my mate who generally calls every 2 weeks or so has gone into the solar power installations into great detail. So much so, that I have today contacted a firm with the prospect of me having solar electricity.
On Wednesdat a man is coming to do a survey and subject to my home being suitable and of course the cost of installing solar power. I will make a decision as to whether I will proceed further or not. I will, of course keep all informed. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. My development has underground wiring so we don't have to worry about hurricane winds downing trees and wires, or getting electrocuted when trimming tree limbs near live wires. Unfortunately the surrounding neighborhoods have above ground wiring and occasionally power entering our development gets cut off.

    During the worst hurricane that hit this area since I've lived here (Hurricane Andrew in 1992) I lost power for only about 10 hours, whereas many others had no power for months.
    In 2005, however, Hurricane Wilma had us dark for 6 days which was no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete