Wednesday 12 October 2011

More useless bits

I have always slept alone in a single bed, that is as far as I can remember. Beds in those days were flock filled. The best quality were of course feather filled. Hence feather bed, meaning nice and cosy. It was not until many many years later that spring interior mattresses were introduced.
My bed was a flock mattress, I guess about 3" thick which was over a metal strung base. It was comfortable as I knew nothing else. Beds were turned regularly both lengthways and sideways.
For many years I have never wore slippers. I do have a couple of pairs for emergencies such as Hospital.
I rarely wear pyjamas, it has to be very cold to wear them. I have several pairs at the ready for Hospital emergencies.
I have a holdall at the ready as I have been taken to Hospital several times. I prefer to wear in Hospital a top and shorts.
Something I did notice though when I was in Hospital. If someone is admitted and they have nothing the Hospital give out a pack. This consists of everything you would need, including a toothbrush and toothpaste. I couldn't believe it but it is true.
I have only used an electric razor since leaving the Army. Well over 50 years ago. In general use a Phylishave.
At the end of the War, buses started to run and I can remember several buses called Utility buses. These were in general local buses. In other words buses for local journeys only.
These Utility buses were basic. Seats were wooden. Not solid but thin slatted seats. I don't know if anybody can recall the park seats. But a lot of them were thin slats. I guess each slat would be a little wider than an inch. Although these were basic they were adequate and as my Father used to say. Third class riding is better than first class walking.
Finally the weather these last few days has been poor, dull and wet. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment