Monday 28 November 2011

New Potatoes

This week end has been very windy but I got up this morning and as it became more daylight there developed a frost. Ice was on the bird bath so it was getting to zero.
I decided to dig up my tomato plant out of the polytunnel as it can not stand much of a lower temperature as the greenhouse can. I only have a couple of tomato plants left in the greenhouse and they only have a few tomatoes on. With luck though I will have tomatoes until the end of the year.
Anyway I decided to dig up the few, well quite a few actually of self setters potatoes. I set them in January and February this year. I must be getting sloppy because I thought I had dug them all up but I must admit I must have missed well over a dozen potatoes.
With the tomatoes and cabbage in the greenhouse I decided to leave the potatoes that had begun to grow. So when I dug up the tomato plant in the polytunnel, I decided to dig up the potatoes also. I did not get too many off the plans. Well one produced plenty but the rest produced less than that one. I then went into the greenhouse and dug them up. To be honest, I was surprised and altogether I guess I dug up about 3lb or well over a kilo of new potatoes.
So this lunchtime(dinner to me)I scraped some new potatoes, they scraped very well and had some gammon with carrots and cabbage, both out of the garden. I also had a few tomatoes.
The potatoes tasted very good indeed.
I have every intention of going to see my Sisters in Grantham on Wednesday, I intend to do a little shopping too. I have not put any fuel in my car since I last went to Grantham. I think that was either late August or early September. Actually, just had a look in my diary it was on the 11th. August. Mind you, I am getting low on fuel. Will inform of my usage when I fill up. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment