Thursday 10 November 2011

Went visiting

Well, this morning was bright and sunny early on. I did something silly. I went and got some plums out of my freezer and decided to poach them. Like I do, I went to do something else. the next thing I knew was a smell of burnt plums in my saucepan. It was a horrible mess and had to dispose of the burnt plums. The saucepan was well and truly in a mess. I managed to get the carbon off after about an hour. Being in the catering business for all those years helped me.
When I was about done cleaning the saucepan, I looked out of the window and noticed that it had gone dull. That was good I thought because the sun would not be in my eyes.
Well I got everything ready including the paint and some carrots. It was then just before 10.00am.
I put my recycling bin out got the car out and off I went. It is only about 14 miles but although there were very few vehicles about, within 5 miles I ran into fog. By the time I arrived at Skegness it had lifted a little.
I rung the bell and my mate came to greet me. He had a few things for me so he suggested that whilst the boot was open he bring them out and put them in the boot. I then was ushered into his home.
I immediately went to see his Mum. She is alert but to be honest is very frail. She was very pleased to see me, she had the oxygen tubes fitted. I must admit, the house didn't feel too warm. Mind you, I do have mine very warm.
My mate then took me out in the garden to show me what he had done. It is me, that has got him to grow vegetables and fruit also.
His greenhouse was looking well. He still had many small tomatoes on. His grape vine was looking well. I was surprised as I had given him a couple of cuttings that my Italian friend had given me. I only kept one and set it. His greenhouse is a lot smaller than mine but he has 2 vines. I suggested to him that he should prune them heavily soon although they are not as advanced as mine are. My leaves had dropped off. His are only just turning. I told him to prune them before the end of December.
After this we went back in the house and I spent about an hour talking to him and his Mum. When it was time for me to go, I shook her hand, it was very cold. I mentioned it to my mate, he just told me that if she got too warm, then she found it very hard to breathe. I hope that she gets better.
We then went outside the front and he showed me where the solar panels would be fitted. He did say that he had heard nothing from them so he was getting a little worried. I told him to contact his electricity provider and ask just how long it would take, from getting the certificate saying it was fully installed and working. I told him that from now he has about 4 working weeks so if it takes no more than a week to get it certificated, then he has about 2 weeks grace. It all depends on first, when they fit the solar panels and secondly, how long the paperwork takes. I will keep all informed. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment