Friday 10 May 2013

A little rain

I must admit that yesterday early evening we did get some rain. Just how much is debatable. I think it put about 1" in my water butts and just about dampened the ground. By mid morning you could not tell that we had any rain at all but we must be grateful for very small mercies.
 With the severe gales the rain made a mess of my window ledges and weather boards but with a damp cloth soon cleaned them so they look good again.
 I just started to pick the odd asparagus with the recent warm weather but they have now steadied up so that means I will have to wait a little longer for my first vegetables of the season. This also will mean a short delay to my New Potatoes. I asked my mate in early January  to get some Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin seed potatoes. This he did, the Arran Pilot are doing great, certainly I have  noticed the difference from last year I am pleased I bought a new lot of seed potatoes  the Pentland Javelin are at least a couple of weeks behind Arran Pilot and they  too are first earlies. They look healthy enough though. To be honest I have found and indeed told all who are interested that Arran Pilot are the best new potatoes to sow for this sort of soil.
 The weather forecast is also none too good, mainly dull with showers and a strong wind with it feeling cool. My C.H. was once again on this morning and almost certain will be on this week end. Roll on Summer. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment