Tuesday 28 May 2013

Holiday over

The weather behaved itself this Bank Holiday with a warm week end. I hope that the holidaymakers came to the seaside and spent money.
 To be honest, everything is late this year. I have Hawthorn trees at the bottom of my garden and the blossom which is commonly known as May blossom is hardly out at all. The odd branches are slowly coming out.
 You may think I am wrong because I have a few strawberries. These are of course out of my polytunnel and the photos of my peas and New Potatoes look fine. They are but area couple of weeks late this year.
 When I was in catering I always had New Potatoes on my menu for my lunches from Spring Bank Holiday. Yes, they were a little dearer but always had them.
 When I first started to do this they came from Pembroke, a couple of years later they were always from Cornwall. Of course they were always supplied in the old 56lb bag or 1/2 cwt. I think that this year it would not be possible to have them on the menu for this Holiday.
 The strawberries sure look good, but I must say this. They are never as sweet as the ones grown outdoors but are still nice all the same. They are also bug free.
 I have tried some New Potatoes and with a bit of luck will be self sufficient within a week or so. This is not the case though with vegetables. All seem to be very slow this year. We seem to get a couple of decent days followed by a week of bitter cold weather.
 I have managed to plant out some Petunias and a few Geraniums(Pelagonums) I am hoping that we get some rain so that they get watered in.
 Hopefully we will not get any more frosts until the Autumn as I have planted out my Runner beans and Marrow plants so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
 I think this year I will, once more have plenty of cherries, not so many plums but sufficient apples, that is if the blossom is anything to go by. More soon

No comments:

Post a Comment