Thursday 23 May 2013

More like March

Today has been cold but not as cold as it will be tomorrow if the weather men are correct.
 We had a few showers and in one there was some sleet. In a couple of others hail but we didn't get much rain at all. The most we got was around 6.45pm.
 I was hoping that some warmer weather was here because I have a few strawberries in my polytunnel beginning to ripen. I don't think they will be ready for the Bank Holiday week end. The weather is supposed to improve a little, let us hope it does.
 I was thinking about the Railway days when I recalled an extraordinary happening.  This I guess would be around 1960. At Peterborough they were short of Firemen so some of us had to travel by train of course to Peterborough which only took about 30 minutes from Grantham to Peterborough.
 I was given a Driver who was pleasant enough and all I did was a sort of shunting job, very easy but not what I would prefer to be doing.
 At the end of the shift I asked the Driver his name and he told me it was Driver Reynolds.
 Now here I must show my ignorance because I asked him if he spelt his name Renn. He stopped me and immediately started to spell out his name. I then told him what a fool I was because it was stupid of me not to know how to spell his name.
 I had to know his name because when I arrived back to base I had to fill a time sheet in so I had to say I was a fireman to Driver Reynolds.
 My mate, who started on the Railway about a week later than I did so we were often paired together as cleaners. His name was Roy, well the next night it was him that had to go to Peterborough. When I next saw him I told him that I was an idiot because I asked this Driver how to spell his name. He then asked me what the Driver's name was. When I told him he said to me that he also had asked the man how to spell his name.
 I just laughed heartily and when I had my breath back I said that he would think that all at Grantham were dunces.
 It's  funny how things like that come to mind. Unfortunately when I left Grantham and went to the seaside I lost contact with Roy. I would go to Grantham in the winter months and say to myself that I would go to see Roy. I never did and I found out that he died very early in life. I do believe in his 50s. This was told to me by an old retired Driver who I used to see with his wife when I took my Mother shopping to the supermarket. I regret not making an effort to go to see him as we were good workmates on the Railway. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment