Monday 20 May 2013

Colour Portfolio

I go to a sort of warehouse cum discount store. I have mentioned before that I met a guy who asked if I was a footplate man and I told him I was.
 One day he gave me a leaflet with some Father's Day offers but this was after Father's Day. The offers were not available and as I am just on my basic State Pension I thought £23.99 plus postage was just too much to pay.
Well this year I have managed to save a little so I went online to see if the book was still available but of course I could not find it at all
 Not to be daunted I decided to e-mail the Company and ask if the book was still in print. An immediate response was given and a link was also given for me to click on.
 Sure enough the book was still there but surprise surprise the cost was not £23.99 as advertised but £12.99 plus postage. I immediately requested the book and paid I think a total of  £15.45.
 I didn't have to wait long, I think 4 days in total and considering it was over a week end I was pleased.
 When the book arrived I immediately noticed that the advertised price on the book was indeed £23.99. So was very pleased indeed.
 I opened the book and I couldn't believe it but on the first true page of pictures was an A4. that is a streak to anyone who knows about steam engines, the same as Mallard which holds the world record for speed. It was called Sir Nigel Gresley. Most were called after birds but a few were named after the Chief Engineers. The most unusual thing was that just behind the A4. was an old scruffy O2. These were known to all fooplatemen as Tangos This was I am reliably informed was because the Tango dance was introduced about the same time as the O2.s were introduced.  These O2s. were hard working heavy goods locomotives and were a workhorse for moving Ironstone from the Grantham area to Immingham.
Now back to the photo, it was of 63923 and old well known steam engine that was known as a bad steamer.
 I had been rostered with the Driver for about 4 months and we got on well. The first time he saw me he told me he would never complain about me. I told him that I hoped he would never have reason to complain. He then went on to explain. He unfortunately for him had been rostered with a guy called Jack G. He was not mentally stable and was eventually dismissed from British Railways, a most unusual event as hardly anyone was dismissed. The only time anyone would be dismissed was if they had a criminal record, this would be even if one was prosecuted for riding a cycle without lights.
 Further  to Jack G. He was issued with a green card which meant that you were no capable of holding a responsible job. He was given a job of road working for the Local Council road sweeping. Occasionally I would see him and I would ask how he was. His reply was always the same "Alright Matey". Not long after I left the Railway he was knocked down and was killed. Sad but true.
 Will continue the story tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment