Tuesday 13 August 2013

Heavy showers

 
 
Over the last couple of days the morning was sunny but from lunch time it grew increasingly cloudy and we have had heavy rain. Yesterday it was so heavy that I had no signal to my satellite. Today was almost a copybook, the only difference was that the rain lasted much longer in fact it is raining again. What it has done though is make sure that my runner beans are still forming and producing plenty of beans. I decided to take a photo of some of the larger beans, I also put a couple of rulers one metric and the other in inches. That is what I always work on.  I guess that is because I was bought up with the old system not metric.
the other pictures are of cabbage white butterflies on some of my lavender, this was taken this morning when it was sunny. It is a long time since I have seen so many cabbage white butterflies. they are a real pest laying their eggs on my
winter greens and broccoli for the next spring. I keep checking them for eggs.
The other photo is of plum tomatoes and Shirley F1. Someone told me that they were the best tomato for the domestic grower, they are though expensive to buy as seeds and there are only about 6 or so seeds in each packet but worth it.  I used to grow Gardeners Delight a golf ball sizes tomato, in fact this year I grew some but to be honest, it is the seeds that get under my plate that cause me trouble so almost certainly will no longer grow them again. The plum tomatoes have far less seeds in them and are very nice. It was my Italian friend that suggested them to me. He grows them so that he can make his Pasta Sauce. He has a machine that throws out the skins and seeds just leaving the pulp. He then saves them in bottles and uses them during the winter. I use them as a cooked tomato. I cook them in a microwave and have them with generally cooked ham. The seeds cause me no trouble at all. Also Shirley have less seeds than Gardeners Delight so I have no trouble eating them. They also they have very little core in them.
More soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment