Tuesday 27 August 2013

Radio 4extra

I listen regular to digital radio. mainly Radio 4 extra. It used to be called Radio 7.
 Lat Saturday was a programme lasting several hours about the seaside between the wars. It was Brighton and interesting too.
 From the shows to the folks travelling from London for the day  it showed just how much life has changed. In general it was from the late 30s.
 What I did find out was the name of Lobby Lud. I was called that in an endearing name when it was time for me to go to bed. I would only be about 4 at the time. Anyway this man was talking about challenging a man called Lobby Lud from the News Chronicle daily newspaper. If you correctly challenged him carrying the News Chronicle you were given £5. A huge amount in those days. Only one winner a day was allowed. Anyway this man told about the time he followed this man for over an hour before plucking up the courage to challenge him only to be disappointed. The man was not Lobby Lud.
 I had asked my Mother many years later why I was occasionally called by that name. All she told me was that it came from a newspaper.
 Incidentally I can remember the newspaper News Chronicle. It was a broadsheet similar to the Daily Express and Daily Herald. the last two have disappeared and the Daily Express like the Daily Mail has gone to Tabloid size.
 I did, for a short time have a paper round and was left with the Daily Telegraph extra to my requirements. I told the man in charge but he told me that I was wrong. What I did was keep the newspaper  and read it. I liked it so much that when I got older I had delivered to me the daily Telegraph. I had it delivered until I moved here. As I live in the country there is no delivery. As I have lived here for over 20 years I have no got used to having no newspaper at all. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment