Wednesday 26 March 2014

Losing it?

Oh Dear, today I went to Grantham to see my Sisters. before I went to see them I called at Morrison's. Amongst things I needed fresh yeast. I looked all over the place but could find nothing. Anyway I saw this woman in overalls and asked if she worked there. She told me that she did but worked in the kitchen but would help me. We both looked for a few minutes and I told her I would go to the bakery and ask for some fresh yeast there. The lady in the overalls went away and I asked this young assistant if she could help me as I was after some fresh yeast. She told me she would ask the Manager and within a few seconds the manager came out with a new 1kilo of yeast and asked me how much I would like. I showed her and she cut it there and then, off she went to weigh and package it. It is sods law but as she came back with the yeast the lady in the overalls came and handed me a packet of foil wrapped fresh yeast. The Manager reacted brilliantly and just told me that hers was much fresher so the overcalled lady took the foil wrapped yeast back. I was interested to see where she had got them from. I couldn't believe my eyes. They were on a shelf below where we both had been looking and there would be at least 15 packets of the stuff. I hurriedly shrunk away hoping no one would notice me.
 Earlier I went to the fish counter and bought a couple of small herrings and there also was a nice piece of smoked haddock. Like a fool I decided to get that as well. The herring cost 95p and the haddock £2.17. To think when we were children Saturday was fish and chip day. 4 pieces of cod and 6d of chips all for less than 5/- or those of a tender age 25p.
 I also filled up with diesel. Locally the price is 1.39 a litre at ASDA in Grantham it was 1.32.7  a big difference.
 I forgot to mention it but on Friday my best Pal called, yes it is that time of year again, the Camp Sites are once more open for the season.
 I just mentioned to him that in early April I may be a day without electricity. He told me that on April 1st he was going to be interviewed by an Historian at the National Trust. It was a lady and she informed my Pal that his name had been forwarded because he had lived at Hardwick Hall during the war.
 My Pal told me he was born there in what was the old stables which had been converted into the workers cottages. He told me he could remember all who lived there from when he was a young boy. So it seems as if his voice will be there for many years. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He told me that he also was a local Councillor in the days when it was voluntary and meetings were only in the evenings. He was so Chairman of the Allotment Society. Also for a time he was a School Governor and told me that some weeks he hardly saw his children.
 It will be interesting to know just how he got on when he calls next time. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment