Tuesday 4 March 2014

Money

Today as usual I went to the Post Office to collect my State pension. What was unusual though was that when I entered the place was almost empty and nobody was waiting to collect their money.
 I went to the counter and when the cashier gave me the money, she placed all of the notes in the correct way. I told her that it was years since that had happened and then proceeded to tell her this tale.
 It would be in 1969 0r 1970 when I first went to the Midland Bank to deposit some money. I had about £5 of pennies and I think £200 in £1 notes. The main notes in those days were 10/- and £1 notes. The Banks issued paper wrappers which had stamped £100 on the wrapper.
 Anyway I handed the bag with the money. The coppers were weighed and ticked off. When he came to the notes the teller asked me if this was the first time I had banked. I answered that it was. He then informed me that for this time only he would accept my money and proceeded  to give me a little lecture. He told me that whenever I deposited notes, I must make sure that all the noted faced the correct way. He then took the wrapper off and placed the notes in the correct position. He then had a damp sponge which all tellers had. He then dipped his finger on the sponge and quickly counted the notes. To be honest I was a little embarrassed as I could understand the time it took to sort out my money and just how quickly he then counted the notes.
 To be honest though he was very nice to me, always correct in those days. He called me Mr. as I did to him. This was how it was in those days. The cashier told me that things in those days were very strict. Much different to today. I call the cashiers by their Christian names and they also call me by my Christian name. She went on to tell me that when it was quiet the cashiers sorted out the notes and put them in the correct way. They are not sorted out this way these days. Mind you at my Bank although I call them by their Christian name they address me as Mr. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment