Monday 24 March 2014

Sleet

Yesterday when I rose early it was cold and a little frosty but it soon clouded over. In the afternoon it got as dark as night. We had heavy rain and as it hit the windows you could see a little sleet in it. The rain continued until early evening then started to clear up. Typical I thought as the forecast was a cold night, probably the coldest night od the winter so far.
 Sure enough this morning there was a sharp frost with ice all over the place. I did manage to cover up my plants up, those which needed to be covered and to be honest it looks as if I have got away with it.
 I noticed as I got up that the wind had changed to an easterly , I hope that old saying doesn't hold true, if so then the easterlies will be the dominant direction  for the next quarter, that is until the summer quarter.
 I saw my Postman friend this morning and he commented on the sharp frost and that we had just over 5mm of rain. I told him that there  was some sleet in the rain. He then told me that a friend of his had told him that while he was out yesterday he noticed quite a few roads with slush on them.
 Today was nice and sunny for most of the day but also a very cold wind, the forecast for the coming few days is not great, cold easterly winds, mainly dull with some rain. Still nothing we can do about that.
 I noticed this morning when I went in the greenhouse, my grape vine was beginning to grow. Must keep a keen eye on that because it would soon take over the area if I let it. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment