Thursday 17 August 2017

Bird in trouble

I was out in the orchard part of the garden when I wa startled by a fluttering, I looked and noticed a juvenile great tit hanging on my netting which is protecting my apples. It was obviously caught up in the netting. Naturally as soon as I went to get hold of the bird to free it the bird began to flutter.
 I eventually caught and somewhat subdued the bird but found that it had been fluttering and trying to escape that it had really got entangled. I tried without any success but the bird started to get agitated and bit me, it didn't draw blood but it was a sharp nip. I decided to leave the bird and go to get a pair of scissors to cut the netting from the bird. So off I went with the bird dangling and fetched a pair of scissors. naturally the bird once more stated to peck me but ignoring the bird I eventually managed to cut the netting clear altyhough it did take some time. As soon as I had cut the netting I opened my hand and away the bird flew. So hopefully it will be none the worse for the experience.

I picked this marrow this morning for tne neighbour, the lad came round this afternoon to take it round and I also told her that there would be some runner beans for her this week end. The marrow weighed just 5lb. it is plenty big enough as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately my mate who loves marrow will almost certainly not be here this week. I have a fairly large one which I had him in mind. The onions which I have not grown before as sets have done well but I did have a few rot off due to the bad weather we have had.  They weigh just over 1lb. to just under 12onz. To be honest those large onions, and I do have several much larger than the ones I have shown, are a little too large for my liking for I live alone and a large onion of about 24 onz. takes a lot of using. More soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment