Thursday 31 August 2017

Massive


These last few days the runner beans and this marrow have grown. I am now getting plenty of runner beans but my marrows have been somewhat disappointing, not that this photo shows because it is probably the largest marrow I have ever grown. It weighs more than a stone.more than 14lbs and is almost 24" long. What is most disappointing is that I have had a few but unfortunately they came all at once so I left this one on but I could not leave it to grow any longer because it would start to get a little old.
 My tomatoes are also doing well and I have just today I have taken down my shading this will help with the ripening process. I put it up in late May just to keep the temperature at a reasonable heat if not the heat becomes too hot.
 I watered my runner beans the other day and they have responded by giving me an abundance of beans. The carrots in the polytunnel are progressing nicely and the Early Laxton plums have been good although not too plentiful. I have made some jam froze a few and had them  for my dinner and tea for about 3 weeks but now I only have enough left for about a week. Then it will be apples. My Bramley apples are not so good this year and I will only have enough to last me until Christmas. The  James Grieve apples have been large and the Lad loves them, one or two have dropped off but the majority are just about ready. The next ones to ripen will be Sunset, again the odd one has dropped off those that have been attacked but as I have thinned them down more this year, the apples are larger than last year. They are ready in about 3 weeks time. The last ones to ripen will be Braeburn. They will not be ready for at least another month. All in all, it will save me several weeks buying at the Supermarket. To be candid I should be self sufficient until well after Christmas.
 Finally I have decided not to grow any more cucumbers because I am fed up with the amount of cucumbers I have collected. I have had well over 20 fruits off the plant and today I gave next door another cucumber, a couple of days ago I picked one for myself. Just now I have noticed there are another 2 more or less ready and several small ones growing. As I don't eat salads growing cucumbers is not for me so I will give my mate the remaining seeds and next year if I want one all I will do is ask him and I am sure he will give me one. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment