Friday 4 June 2010

1970 and 71

During the next 2 seasons all I seemed to do was work hard to stand still. My rent was £1000 a year. I found out much later that this was exhorbitant, the rates were based on your rent so that again was high. However I was gaining experience as to how to run a business. I found out that once you had been using a company for over a year, they seemed to realise that you were a little more reliable and would help more if possible.
When I first started, I had to order one week for the next week so if you omitted anything you were stumped. the second season though was a little better. The part owner of a delivery company contacted me and said that if I wished to have a top up. he called into town every Saturday during the season. His name was Herbert and we became good friends, if ever he had any offers he would always contact me.
Staff was always a headache but gradually I started to find the odd one that would work with me each season. I found a pastry cook and a woman who would mind the till. She was not good to the staff but she made sure that every penny was accounted for.
The season seemed to go a little better than the last one. I presumed that it was because I was becoming a little more proficient at what I was doing. I had worked for a Nationalised Industry, a Private Company quoted on the Stock xchange and now for myself. I definitely know which is the easiest and which is the hardest.
I was told of a good Accountant so in 1971 I took the books to him so that he could tell me just how I was doing. I had very little saved but I had started to accrue catering equipment so I was happy.
What an idiot I was. The Accountant was a disgrace. This is true what I write. I asked him to let me know how I had done as it was my first venture into business. To my horror, he sent the accounts straight to Inland Revenue. He had charged me 33% rent 33% rates 50% heat and 50% fuel. He had me earning about £20 a week. This was before I had took a penny for myself. I had a restaurant and was working every day from 8.00ap to 10.00pm except Wednesday which I closed at 4.00pm during the winter.
I didn't know what to do. It must have been my lucky day as the man from the local Arcade came to see me. He immediately said to me "What's up boy, it looks as if you've lost a £ and found a shilling. I told him of my plight, he informed me that he knew somebody who would help and not to worry. About 2 hours later, this man came in, introduced himself to me as the Arcades mans friend and he was an Accountant. He asked for my accounts. Took them off me, told me not to worry and he would be in contact.
It was a few weeks before I heard anything from him. We sat down and he informed me that firstly he would have to renegotiate the way my private rent, rates, heat etc was charged. He just said the old Accountant had charged me as if I was a corner shop, but it was wrong.
In the meantime I had to sell my car, borrow some money to carry on but managed to do it. Mind you it made me realise that being in business was not going to be easy and making sure that you have a good Accountant is vital. I did not worry though as the new Accountant kept me informed as to how things were going. It seemed as if he was beginning to get a far better deal for me regarding my living expenses as I was working all hours god sent. so at least I could look forward to 1972. Well perhaps. The miners were causing trouble. To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment