Saturday 19 June 2010

Gardening etc.

Today has been a very cool day for the end of June. Temperature around 13c 54f.
So being in the garden has not been possible also there have been squally showers with a keen northerly wind. I have a polytunnel which is 15ft long by 10ft wide.In early February I set some Little Marvel peas. I have been harvesting them for the last 14 days. All are more or less finished now. I am saving some seeds for next year though. I also set quite a few Arran Pilot seed potatoes in late February and I have been eating them since the middle of May. I set 4 seed potatoes in my Greenhouse that is 16ft by almost 8ft. These were ready first about a week sooner than the polytunnel potatoes. However I think I will be eating these for at least 3 weeks. I intend to take photos of my produce when the sun shines. I have now ready broad beans, these were set in pots in early January, planted out in late February. It has been a cold winter so I could not put them out earlier. Even then it was not really warm enough as they had been in the greenhouse for about 3 weeks. I have in my greenhouse a grape vine. These are coming on nicely. This is my first year of fruit, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My friend gave me a cutting a couple of years ago. Last year I trained it across the greenhouse and was surprised to see that there are at least 24 bunches of grapes. So here's hoping. They are seeded grapes but very sweet. My friend gave me a bunch last year out of his greenhouse. I also have tomatoes and climbing french beans. The first tomato is just beginning to ripen. I am just beginning to harvest a few beans. I set the tomatoes seeds in early January. I hope to take a few photos so that I can show the progress.
Soft fruit is also beginning to ripen, raspberries and strawberries some are ready to be picked. Gooseberries are also beginning to ripen. I have one desert gooseberry. It turns a dark red when ripe. More soon when hopefully it will be a little warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment